The mission of the Tongass School is to provide an educational experience for students that:
- Fosters complex educational opportunities that include real life and real world experiences and builds on themes related to the arts and sciences;
- Effectively applies current educational research to school and classroom practice;
- Respects, values and builds on the individual and unique strengths of students in order to foster a strong sense of responsibility and self-worth;
- Creates an educational environment that provides positive relationships within the classroom, the school community and the community at large;
- Develops respect and appreciation for diversity of people, cultures, ideas and perspectives;
- Increases parental involvement in the education of their children.